Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oh Birthday

SO, I have to say ever since I turned about sixteen I haven't looked too forward to birthdays.

 Birthday sixteen for me was about the year that I realized that birthdays aren't quite as fun because you don't really have parties with piñatas and favors anymore, you don't get  (hopefully) at least 20 beautifully wrapped gifts with bows, and you don't get to parade all of your new adorable embroidered flare jeans around school.

Instead I came to the realization that birthdays were becoming just another year closer to wrinkles and saggy boobs. That parties and presents become small family dinners and cards. Now don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy just small get togethers and cards, because another thing that comes with age is the discovery of the importance of money, and I appreciate that as we get older we expect less money and show and more thought.

So in the whole five years since I was sixteen (I know big number right) birthdays for me have been sweet and enjoyable, but not really the big hubbub that they were when I was younger, in fact I have to periodically remind myself it's my birthday... as I'm, stopped at a stop light I catch myself going.. holy crap, it's my birthday today.

With that said I have to say this year has been truly divine, and even though it sounds silly, turning 21 has kind of been a little tough for me, it means that my childhood is now behind me. I know that really I'm still a baby, but it's a transitioning time for me, and even though it really means nothing, I do feel a little different and that sideways license will take some getting used to. So thank you everyone for taking something that has been a little stressful for me and turning it into a great experience. Let me tell you what made it so special.

Everyone at work remembered and I didn't have to tell them, my father-in-law, whom I work with, was even counting down the days for me.

My co-workers made me a pink and silver crown to wear around, made me a yummy cake and the frosting was even specially made to be my favorite color. They all signed me a card, sang happy birthday to me and the kids I work with gave me hugs and kisses.

My husband made the bed this morning, and brought me lunch at work.

My Husband to me out to a nice restaurant and had sushi!

we went to the store and Jordan got me some cute hair things and he got me a cake, and he bought me Toy Story 3(yeah I'm REAL grown up).

My mom took me out for Ice cream.

My mother in law bought me flowers.

When I got home from ice cream I found a beautiful cake on my kitchen table from my brother and sister in law, and three perfect home made cards from my nieces with a gift card to Michaels, and I love going to Michaels.

My dad emailed me and even gave me a call from Africa and he says he got somethings from Egypt for me.

My mom sang Happy Birthday to my voice mail.

I had a million, I swear, Happy Birthday's on Facebook from all of my friends and family.

People I haven't seen or spoken to in a long time remembered and took the time out of their days to call, text, or message me with Happy Birthday wishes.

Even my friend that is living the dream and exploring Europe made time to let me know she was thinking of me today. Not to forget my extremely nauseous, pregnant, best friend took the time to call.

At the end of the day I came home, and saw all the the beautiful things people had given me, all of the cards, and the messages and I just broke down and cried like a baby. I can't remember the last time I had a more perfect birthday, or felt so loved! I am the luckiest girl in the world to have the friends and family that I have. Someday I plan to, in return, give them the joy they have given me. I think this is the best part of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment